Simple machine is the widely used free and open source forum software next to MyBB. It has a wide range of features and it’s a user friendly software. Like it’s name “Simple machine”, it’s very simple and easy to use. The features SMF is supported by major browsers. It’s written in php and uses MySQL like MyBB. You can also install this SMF quickly using Fantastico, if it is enabled on your web-host. This post guide you how to install SMF manually without the use of one-click software.
Installing Simple Machines forum includes:
- Checking the minimum requirements.
- Downloading Latest Simple Machines Forum.
- Creating MySQL database and user.
- Uploading the files to Webhost.
- Installing Simple Machines Forum.
Checking Minimum requirements:
Before installing SMF, take a time to check the minimum requirements to install it.
- A Webhost supports php.
- Any of the following Database:
- MySQL 4.0.18 or higher.
- PostgreSQL 8.0 or higher.
- SQLite 1.x-2.x.
- You have atleast 2 MB free space in your Database.
- Atleast 20 MB free space in your File Manager.
- A Domain name.
Downloading Latest Simple Machines Forum:
After confirming the minimum requirements, you can download the Simple Machines Forums.
Download the latest version by clicking the URL: http://download.simplemachines.org
Try to download the zip file under the Full Install section.
Creating MySQL database and user:
The information of you and your users will be stored in a database, especially MySQL
- Go to MySQL® Database Wizard.
- Create a database on the field with your desired database name (You can type any name) and click onNext Step.
- On the landing page you have to create a user with your desired user name and enter your password or use password generator and click on Create User.
- You have to give all privileges to your user that you have created , so Tick ALL PRIVILEGES on the next page.
- After creating a Database and a user you will get a page which shows you have successfully created a database and User.
Uploading the files to Webhost:
The next part of this installation is to upload the downloaded files to the web-host. It’s made simple with the use of a FTP client. If your web-host didn’t support FTP client, you can upload the files by logging into your web-host and upload the files by the file manager. Don’t experienced uploading files through File manager? See the below steps:
- Log on to your web-host.
- Find “File manager” and click it.
- Go to public_html and go to your domain directory.
- Click the “Upload” button from the toolbar section of the file manager.
- Upload your downloaded Simple machines forum.zip package which you downloaded in the Second Step of this installation process.
- After uploaded the file, click your smf.zip file and click “Extract” from the toolbar.
- After completing the extraction, delete the smf.zip file.
Installing Simple Machines Forum:
After completing all the steps, you are ready to install the SMF. Follow the steps given below:
- Start this process by typing your URL with “/install” in your Browser. Example: If you own the domain forums.rts.com the type forums.rts.com/install on the browser. It will show the installation page, click Continue to proceed.
- Enter your database details in the next step.
- Enter your forum details in the next step including the Forum name, Forum URL.
- On the next step it will check and refresh Database tables, click Continue to proceed.
- On the successive page, it will asks you to provide the information about the Administrator (You).
- If you read this step means you completed installed SMF!. Tick on Click here to delete this install.php file now, to avoid the re-installation of this process. If it can’t delete the file, go to the file manager and find and delete the install.php file.
You are now successfully and properly installed the Simple Machines Forum. Happy Forum Discussion.